ELIZALDE Cañete alias Ka Jinggoy, allegedly a high-ranking leader of the New People's Army (NPA) who is facing multiple cases for several atrocities in Davao City, was transferred Tuesday, May 29, to the Davao City Police Office (DCPO) headquarters.

Cañete was arrested Monday, May 28, shortly after he was discharged from the Don Carlos Doctors Hospital in Bukidnon province, where he was treated for multiple gunshot wounds.

Cañete’s head is misshapen due to two gunshot wounds in the head. He also sustained four gunshot wounds in his body during an encounter with government troops in Kitaotao, Bukidnon last May 10.

In an interview yesterday with DCPO director Police Senior Superintendent Alexander Tagum, the NPA commander was turned over to their unit here since most of the charges against him were filed in Davao City. Cañete is facing 12 charges and five of these were filed in Davao City.

He has a standing warrant of arrest for serious illegal detention (no bail); robbery by a band; murder (no bail) for four counts; attempted murder for four counts; frustrated murder and alias warrant all issued by Regional Trial Court, 11th Judicial Region.

He is temporarily detained at the DCPO detention facility pending issuance of commitment order from the court for transfer to the Davao City Jail in Maa.

Cañete and his mother were transported from Bukidnon via helicopter by the Philippine Air Force (PAF) to the Tactical Operation Group (TOG 11) at the old airport in Sasa.

Considered a high value prisoner, he was escorted by a security team composed of Task Force Davao, DCPO police and its elite unit, SWAT team.

From Sasa, Cañete was allowed to be checked at Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC) to ensure that his health is stable after he was released by Don Carlos Doctors Hospital, Don Carlos in Bukidnon on Monday evening, citing improvement in his health condition and completion of his medical treatment.

Cañete replaced Leoncio Pitao alias Parago as the leader of Pulang Bagani Command (PBC1), Southern Mindanao Regional Committee (SMRC) after the latter was killed in a raid by law enforcers.

His area of operation covers the boundary of Bukidnon, Davao del Norte and the mountainous districts of Davao City.

Jinggoy has been charged for numerous crimes and atrocities he committed. It can be recalled that he was the one responsible for the death of fish vendor Larry Buenafe in Mandug, Davao City in May 2017 during the burning of the Lapanday facility in the said barangay, the report said.

Likewise, his group was also blamed for the burning of road-building equipment being used in the ongoing bypass road at Barangay Mandug and Fatima, both of Paquibato, Davao City.

Heavy security

Tagum said the level of security on Cañete will be high the same with the arrest of Maute patriarch last year. He said that for security purposes, they will not allow any relatives to visit him for the meantime except for his lawyer while he is still under their protective custody.

“Be assured that Davao City Police Office will provide full security for the protective custody of commander Jinggoy,” he said.

Expecting that there will be rallies to be staged by the militants following the transfer of the custody, Tagum said that he respect the rights to freedom of expression provided that they will secure their permit to rally otherwise they will be arrested.

“Definitely naa lang mga areas na pwedeng mapasukan ng civilian and itong headquarters starting today will be off limits to unauthorized civilians,” he said.

The arrest of the NPA leader is believed to be a big blow to the communist group operating in Davao region.

 
 
Source: http://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1745529/Davao/Local-News/NPA-leader-captured-in-Bukidnon-brought-to-Davao